Thursday 10 September 2009

Wombourne Model Show

Last Sunday I visited the Wombourne Model Show to meet up with fellow members of the Pensnett Model Club. It was a nice little show. Whilst there my brother pointed out kits which I haven't seen for years (literally). These Airfix kits (below) I bought there must date from the early/mid 70's. I'm still in two minds as to whether to build and paint these models or leave them boxed as they feel (and definitely look) like collector's items.

Apologies for the quality of the shots, taken as usual on my mobile phone camera.


Even though I was born and raised just five miles away I had never visited Wombourne before. This is quintessential midland English village; there was even a cricket game taking place on the green when we left the show. On the way back to visit my parents I was reminded about the vast amount of history on our doorstep as I drove past Holbeche House, location of the famous 'last stand' of the Gunpowder Plot in 1605.

Because of the numerous Catholic hideaways it's little wonder that the area was called 'Little Rome'. Even for a now relatively quiet and heavily industrialised area there is still an amazing amount of 'history' still to be seen.

For those just interested in Jacobean history, within ten miles of Pensnett alone, there are several sites of note including Holbeche, Boscobel House and Moseley Old Hall. The latter two are where, after the Battle of Worcester, Charles II played 'hide & seek' with the local Parliamentarians. He eventually won the game and was allowed to be king again. The losers lost their heads permanently (his game, his rules).

Date of visit: 6th September 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment