Barn, Stryd Lydan, Penley, Flintshire, north-east Wales. Built about 1550.
The oldest, and largest, section of this barn was constructed using crucks forming the familiar ‘A’ frames.
A later addition (around 1600) was built on a high stone plinth and connected to the original structure
Note the carpenter’s marks that allowed the timbers to be first be made on the ground in a carpenter’s yard, numbered and then re-assembled on site, just like modern flat pack style furniture.
Note the different construction technique from that used in the later addition (shown above).