Wednesday 3 September 2014

Medieval Retinue

I can think of few things that more impressive on a tabletop than a great big bunch of colourful knights armed to the teeth with swords, maces and battleaxes riding into the thick of battle (often uncontrollably in my experience). These well turned out chaps will eventually form two units and the core of my English army for Lion Rampant (LR) games. There are three categories of mounted troops in LR: 
  • Mounted Men-at-Arms - the elite attacking force, your knights in shining armour.
  • Mounted Serjeants - well-armoured, non-noble horsemen (who can be armed with bows/crossbows).
  • Mounted Yeomen - lightly armed and armoured mounted skirmishes equipped with bows/javelins.

In initial games they can pass as either Mounted Men-at-Arms or Mounted Serjeants but as I build up a greater force (i.e. when I make and paint more figures) then only miniatures mounted on caparisoned horses will be officially classed as Mounted Men-at-Arms, well in my games anyway.

Waiting in my painting queue are a similar number of figures to represent the Welsh opposition. These will be easily identifiable as being Welsh (or any over nation that takes my fancy to fight the English) as I'm using similar figures that are also noticeably different; more of that in a future post.

Below are links to posts detailing the various knights shown in the photo:







20 comments:

  1. These are so very very good

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully painted horse trappers and knights/MAA. This period certainly rivals any other in sheer colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean. You're right, I can't think of any other period that can offer such a potential variety of colours.

      Delete
  3. Stunning work as always! Only 17 days until my copy arrives...................

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! They look amazing altogether :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul, hopefully the Welsh will be able to resist them.

      Delete
  5. Wonderfull painted cavalry!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Knights! I also liked your battered/casualty markers. I was partial to the ones that were just gear as I think that there would be less confusion about them as playable figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean. The casualty markers featuring the wounded knights/horses are fitted on round bases and normal figures on square bases, so even I shouldn't get them mixed up - I'm not as daft as I look ;)

      Delete
  7. Very, very nice looking retinue of knights!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete