Friday, 25 July 2014

Two Pigs, Irregular Miniatures Ltd

These two porkers, I believe, are from Irregular Miniatures. If this is the case then I think the code from them is: AN11 (Two Pigs). The reason I'm not 100% sure these are from Irregular is because I bought these individually from a trade stand at a show quite a while ago, along with a few cattle. These have been based individually so they can be carried off as loot (bacon is so much rewarding than gold or silver).
 Once again I've painted these to represent Gloucester Old Spot breed simply because I like the look of them and they add an interesting dimension to the table top. Previous similar models can be seen (here)

Tuesday, 22 July 2014

Changing the Pose of a Miniature - Modding - Bolt Action

Here's a quick video that shows how to quickly and easily modify a plastic figure, in this case a miniature from the Perry's DAK box set.

Tuesday, 15 July 2014

How to Pin a Miniature to a Base

Following on the the previous video, which dealt with an issue when correcting Mantic's resin/plastic material, this video is more of a beginners guide to pinning figures to a base. 

If there are any techniques or methods that you would like to see demonstrated on Ade's channel please feel free to ask.

Tuesday, 8 July 2014

Correcting Resin-Plastic 'Resnic' Miniatures

And now for something completely different:

I made this video a while ago to support Ade in his ongoing venture to turn his hobby into a full time career (which I imagine is everyone's dream), this video deals with some of the issues I found with Mantic's resnic figures, in this particular case for the Deadzone board game. Now all I have to do is paint the ugly brutes.

Coat of Arms of De Brian, Crusader Miniatures

As with the Wyville figure, details of which can be found (here) this model doesn't actually represent anyone in particular but the coat of arms are based on floor tiles discovered at Shaftsbury Abbey.

De Brian
Arms: Azure, three piles conjoined in base or

Elizabeth, daughter of sir Guy De Brian married Hugh, the son of Hugh Courtney, second Earl of Devon. He was the owner of the East and East Coker in Somerset.

Again I removed the tail from the horse to give a more accurate historical representation of a mounted knight.

I have to admit that I'm not overly keen on this particular model of the horse and as a result I didn't spend too much time and effort painting it. In retrospect I should have painted the heraldic pattern on the caparison as well as on the figures surcoat but I'm not going to add any more to it now.

Thursday, 3 July 2014

Coat of Arms of Wyville, Crusader Miniatures & Fireforge Games

This model doesn't actually represent anyone in particular but the coat of arms is once again based on floor tiles discovered at Shaftsbury abbey, once one of the richest abbey's in the country. More information about my visit to the town and figures based on the tiles can be found (here)(here) and (here).

From the note at Shaftsbury Abbey museum:


Arms: A cross argent fretty between four mullets of six points.

Robert Wyville (or Wyvil), was Bishop of Salisbury from 1330 to 1375. He was involved in a quarrel with the new newly ennobled Lord Salisbury in 1341 over the ownership of Sherbourne castle. This escalated into an argument that was nearly settled through (a very rare) trial by combat. At one time he held the high office of Lord Privy Seal.

As you may notice the figure, in terms of the style of his armour etc., predates the bishop by approximately one hundred years. The most interesting aspect of this character was his near involvement in a trial by combat. This dispute was due to be settled by two champions chosen by the two main protagonists, Wyville and the Earl of Salisbury.

However before the combat was due to start one of the men (the Bishop's champion if I remember correctly) was discovered to have been 'cheating' by having magic charms and amulets tucked into his clothing so the trial was suspended. Eventually the cause was settled so the trial by combat never actually took place. It would make an interesting basis for a 'what if' scenario.

The mounted knight and the knight on foot are both from Crusader while the horse is from Fireforge Games. As you may notice this is another model I have altered slightly. I've removed the tail and filled in the gap on the barding with greenstuff. The reasoning behind this decision can be found (here).

Apologies for the quality and strange colour of the photos (just like the good old days). I got a bit carried away with editing on Picasa and didn't want to waste time altering then back.

Wednesday, 2 July 2014

Special Give-away Competition Result

Last night I asked my assistant, brother Neil (who could never be accused of being glamorous), to pull the winning entry (or slip of paper) out of an actual hat. 

And The Winner Is... 

Pat G 

Congratulations Pat, it seems appropriate as yesterday was Canada Day. I'll be getting in touch with you very shortly to sort out details of how exactly you'd like your mounted knight to be painted. 

There was a bit of a rush of entries (slight exaggeration but hey-ho) on the last day. There were thirty two entries in total (which was approximately the kind of numbers I had hoped for). Seeing as I had a decent amount of entries I've also decided to give out a couple of runners-up prizes. 

The runner up prizes goes to...

Robert Hingley &
Andrew Saunders (aka Loki) 

It must have been something in the water yesterday because Robert also lives in Canada (bit of a nice coincidence). The runners up will receive a personalised miniature knight on foot. I'll be getting in touch with both to work out the details. 

Thanks to everyone for entering and don't forget I will shortly be running another competition to coincide with the launch of Lion Rampant where the lucky winner will receive another unique prize.