Wednesday 19 February 2014

English Medieval Ship The Thomas, Zvezda (9038) Scale: 1/72

This is a plastic model (Code: 9038) of an English medieval ship the Thomas, a square rigged cog, from the Russian company Zvezda.
The Thomas
Although labelled as being 1/72 scale the model is quite suitable for 28mm size figures (just remember not to use the tent on the aftercastle/sterncastle).
Detail of forecastle (or fo'c'sle if you're nautical)
I'm not sure if I rigged this bit up correctly as the ropes have to bend over the woodwork to to be secured.

Detail of aftercastle
The clever design of the model enables you to make the ship either with a complete hull (plus stand) for display or as a waterline version. As I don't want to display the model and that I will eventually use this to play medieval naval battles I choose the waterline option (there are plenty of free rules available online, I have a set from WSS magazine). Funnily enough had I owned this model during my youth I'd have nagged my mom to make this with a full hull and played with it in the kitchen sink, or more probably it would have met the same fate as models of the Golden Hind, HMS Hood and the USS Constitution, none of which unfortunately survived the tidal waves caused by me sliding into the bath (I'd like to point out this wasn't recently, I was only about five years old at the time).

As alluded to in previous posts I purchased this model from Mr. Models in Birmingham just before Christmas 2012 for under £40 (available on eBay for less but I try to support local shops whenever possible) so using this as a bathroom toy wasn't really an option.

There is a very similar model on display in a museum in the capital (the London Science Museum I believe) which I recall seeing a number of years ago. This displays the Royal coat of arms of England and with the included decal set with the Zvezda kit you can replicate the same appearance with this model. Although very impressive I chose to paint the sail to look plain and weathered.
Citadel Technical paint Nihilakh Oxide used on the rudder.
Using Google (All Hail) Images to see how other people had modelled and painted up this kit, for use as a gaming piece that is, I noticed that no one had bothered to complete the rigging. As the kit is supplied complete with quite delicate blocks and pulleys I initially assumed that people were simply opting for the easier version and not bothering to complete the kit, even though it comes complete with two sets of coloured string to use for this very purpose. Curious as to why this was the case, I quickly realised why after reading the instructions.

By not rigging up the model the main mast can by pulled out of its locating hole and stored flat. Rigged up properly the mast is firmly secured in place, ideal if you plan to display the ship properly but a major pain if you want to store the model away or transport it anywhere to play with (the waterline version stands 13"(330mm) high. The kit come supplied with separate black and gold string presumably suitable for a royal vessel for use as rigging. However I've never seen rigging this colour so I looked for a more natural looking alternative. First call was my mom's sewing box. After telling me off for making a mess she handed me a reel of white string and asked me if it was any good. The only problem, she added, was that is a type of elastic (cooking?) string. I experienced an all too rare 'light bulb' moment. Fortunately I hadn't glued the mast into place but thought I could use the elastic string to secure the sail and mast to the hulk but still be able to pull the mast out of its locating hole (it needed about 1" (25mm) of vertical clearance. As you can see, and much to my surprise, it actually worked.
Before
After - Collapsed rigging
Unlike the painting the ship following the assembly instructions, which suggested painting the hull in various coloured bands, I decided to check for any references from original medieval sources. After looking at several medieval illustrations I noticed that the ships appeared to be unpainted all except for the crows-nest, which are normally shown painted red or white. This is in stark contrast to images of the later Mary Rose which always appear in illustrations to have been daubed over by eager volunteers with random tins of paint from an interior decorators closing down sale.
In the same display case in the museum mentioned earlier there was another ship with the mainsail painted to represent a ship displaying the arms of the Earl of Warwick. I've seen this replicated a number of times in model form, so I can only assume that the modellers have seen the same display, it would be a rather odd coincidence otherwise. However the model comes with shields that add to the overall decorative look and obviously can be painted to suit your own preferences.
Being a proud midlander I opted to used the basic form of the famous Beauchamp family coat of arms, one of a handful of families that could afford to have a ship like this built. This shield is painted Gules, a fess or (in plain English - red shield with a central horizontal yellow band). The Beauchamp family actually had many branches so to differentiate between themselves the various families used different devices following the same pattern, three above and three below the band. The main, most influential, family used a crosslet but birds, squares etc. were used by other branches.

Zvezda produce other similar plastic medieval ships which I hope to buy if and when I spot one.

30 comments:

  1. Wow - that is a cool model - looks great with the rigging too. Yes, I would say quite suitable for 28mm. Looks sturdy too for gaming. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean, the model is quite sturdy and solid but I'm not sure it would survive the bath tidal wave though.

      Delete
  2. She's a beauty Matt, excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is most excellent Matt!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! I have to get about six of these!!

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darrell, if I could find six I'd definitely have them.

      Delete
  5. Really awesome write up there. Beautiful work on the model. I've been on the fence about these but after seeing this, I think I'm all in. I agree with Darrell ... I think I have to get at least six of these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. apart the fact that your work is fantastic (and too delicate for me !), I'm impressed with the removable mast !
    Genius Idea !

    Bravo !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very lovely ship - the rigging works really well and they do fit well with 28mm figures, perhaps some Perry plastics as crew?
    Keep looking at these kits, I must get myself one too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Painterman, the model has some tricky components but is definitely worth buying. You're right, some of the Perry plastic WotR figures, especially if you modified some of the archers, would make excellent crew.

      Delete
    2. Looks very nice..I´ll have to have a bash at the one laying about here..one day. BTW, Valdemar are bringing out a whole range of medieval ships, a bit pricey but very nice.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Paul, I'll have to keep a look out for those Valdemar models.

      Delete
  8. Matt,

    Do the kits come with a flat bottom or do you have to cut it yourself?

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The model has a flat bottom, you have to cut away part of the rudder but that's easy. The kit comes with the lower part of the hull if you want to complete the ship and show it on the (included) display stand.

      Delete
  9. Does the ship have any guns/ canons on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon, the model doesn't include any canons.

      Delete
    2. Was it a fighting ship?

      Delete
    3. This model represents a merchant ship known as a cog (which is a vessel with a deep-draught, round-hull and a single main sail). These would have been converted into warships by the addition of wooden 'castles' at the bow and stern. This is where the term forecastle (fo'c's'le) came from, which is still used the describe that area of a sailing ship.

      There were a number of battles fought at sea during the middle ages such as the battles of Dover (1217), Sandwich (1217), Sluys 1340 and Brest (1342).

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the info and your time.

    ReplyDelete