This small vignette was the result of a challenge I set myself one night whilst I was staring at a pile of Perry's plastic WoTR figures (yes, I do need to get out more). With hindsight I purchased two more boxes than I actually need to build a couple of basic retinues using the Lion Rampant ruleset, although in my defence I hoarded all this lot years ago.
After successfully altering around a dozen figures featured in previous posts I wondered just how far I could go. One figure in particular struck me that could altered to depict someone lying down. My original thought after seeing that model was to have a prone figure (implying being wounded) soldier receiving medical treatment. The model serves no natural function for any game that I can think of, it is more of an exercise in how far I could modify the figures.
Deciding to commit myself I cut away the bases, always a nerve wracking 'point of no return'. Then looking at the arms I used an standard archer's pair, removing the bow and cutting off the hands so that they could be rotated to form a more natural looking posture when the figure was lying flat. With the angle of the right arm I thought I could imply that the prone figure was trying to prop himself up by his elbow.
As the prone model's right foot was left at an odd angle I cut this part off and replaced it with greenstuff. His left foot was cut and then rotated so that it looked more relaxed.
The second (kneeling) figure involved a lot more chopping and changing. Both legs were cut through at the knee and upper thigh. I should have used a paperclip to form a frame to hold the legs in position but I just smothered the pieces in glue and hoped that they got stay in place (sometimes I annoy myself with my lack of planning). Once dry greenstuff was used to fill in all the gaps. The arms are from the standard trumpeter arms with, obviously, the trumpet cut away. Fortunately the arms naturally looked as if the kneeing figure was either to administer the last rites or is about to offer comfort to the prone soldier.
The sword was made by cutting away the surface detail off the scabbard and smoothing down the plastic. The helmet was hollowed out using a craft knife and hand drill. The arrow was cut away from the standard bundle that comes with the archers.
The following images don't match up but it might help people see how the figures were altered.